Re: Virtual Directory Structure

joerg jrsoftware de (2001-05-12 at 1859.36 +0200):
> Yes, it should be under /home/ as well, but I think it could be shown
> as an additional (virtual) top level folder, too. It makes finding
> your home directory a little bit faster. The shell uses ~/ as a
> similar shortcut.

Virtual is bad, and there is button to go home in most places I know
(file managers & open / save dialogs, ie). Also ~/ worked last time I
tried.

> Of course, localization always has to take care of cultural issues.

No, here we got "Mi Maletin" ("My Briefcase"), to follow the trend (as
well as lots of iFoos and eBars, like if out culture was a photocopy
machine). Well, we also got mouse instead of raton, cos doc writers
wanted to work less, so they did es, but not es_ES.

> Of course, dialogs that display a (visual) list of folders or
> something should display the friendly names.

I mean in the list, and the path can have the long explanation as
tooltip. Mixing descriptions and names all in one will look weird.

> Ok, there are some problems with this. The advantage of a
> .foldersettings file would be that it could be created by whoever
> creates the directory. I.e. if you're working with a third-party CD,
> it might still have descriptive names, you don't need to configure it
> (but you also can't change it).

It could also be a file in device root .treedescription or similar (it
is not settings, just descriptions), like lost+found/ dir or usr.quota
files.

> On your own hard disk, you can do whatever you like. And if you can't
> (you're not root), there's probably a reason why you can't (though
> read permissions might indeed be a problem as you could not even show
> info when you're in the parent folder). Network access/increased
> network traffic might be another problem.

Yep, I think there should be a way to load rules in groups, like
including files, but not one file per dir. Some kind of solution in
the middle.

GSR