Re: why I don't use GNOME

mbabcock fibrespeed net (2001-03-04 at 1518.21 -0500):
> Oh no, another Mac-Windows flame war ...

To death. And Amiga and Unix reinforcements are deploying too. ;]

> Ilan Volow wrote:
> > dialogs with
> > "Ok" on right and "Cancel" on left
> This is a huge argument -- you shouldn't arbitrarily say that one is
> proven better than the other.

MacOS does that, no? Based in its guidelines, IIRC. Anybody know
exactly why?

Which reminds me: what are the plans for GNOME UI docs?

> A) People's eyes move in from the lower left usually ... so defaults
> should be there, but ...

Also if you do not use a Western languaje?

> B) Western people consider movement (progress) to be left to right, so
> the "go on" option should be on the right ...

Yep, but then you also have to take into account that the buttons are
right aligned. I think I see why MacOS does "go on" on right, cos you
always get it there, not matter how many other things, and the verb is
very explicit (not just "ok", but things like "delete" if possible),
so read one button and you have a general idea of what the window is
about.

[Other features]

Uuum, what if all this things can be toggle via: Use MacOS | Windows |
whatevere style. I think if changes match as a group and do not
interfere with other things, the better, like GTK+ and wm themes, each
one its own, all happy and more user base. OK, somebody will raise
that too much configuration is bad, but I guess that are the reason
for user levels (some GNOME apps already do this, like Nautilus) and
extensibility (some too, like Sawfish).

> > Now most of my GNOME programs on my machine have
> > mac-like (Alt) keyboard shortcuts :).
> BTW, if you had a keyboard with the Ctrl where most Caps-lock keys are,
> you'd understand why old-time *nix people use Ctrl instead.

I have learned to use the PC layout, but I do not extend the little
finger, I hit the key with it flexed or with the middle area (yeah,
weird).

BTW, about all this keycombo madness, please do not shot any one with
weird settings, mainly cos people can have keys "moved", like Ctrl to
CapsLock, or Meta to Alt (so rare symbol keys work as Hyper). Sawfish
took a nice approach: define an alias (W), and configure it once
(Alt-Ctrl, or Hyper, or anything you want).

> > As far as app listers go,the best layout I've seen
> > is implemented in WindowMaker. It puts nice, big,
> > Fitts friendly buttons representing currently running
> > apps against the border of the screen. Using the
> > middle mouse button to bring up a pop-up menu with
> > currently running apps is also a very nice touch. If
> > one or two things were handled just a little bit
> > differently, the WindowMaker method would come close
> > to being the perfect solution.

You can have a list of windows too, check your window manager config,
even tied to keycombos, so it can work anywhere (Fitts' "under the
cursor").

> The Mac-finder like button on the eMac Enlightenment theme works really
> well too.

Then the GNOME finder applet too.

> I may have a copy, or I may not (Apple doesn't want anyone to have it
> ... )... E-mail me.

A copy of what?

GSR