Re: Proposal for default panel layout w/ some modifications to the panel

I think this was intended for the list also.

John Summerfield wrote:

I HATE the menu systems as implemented in Windows and parroted by KDE and GNOME. I find it FAR TOO EASY to drag the mouse off the menu whereupon the whole stucture collapses and I have to start from the beginning.

I came to Linux from OS/2. In OS/2 one could have Program Objects (equivalent to launchers) (in fact any kind of object, but program objects were most common) on the desktop and in folders.

New in OS/2 Warp was the launcher. The launcher is is similar Wharf - it gives single-click execution of individual programs.

The easiest way to add an object to the launcher is to drag it and drop it on the launcher.

The launcher has drawers; one creates a drawer by dropping an object onto an existing button which then develops a handle which you click to open the drawer.

This one can group, for example, one's internet tools - the dialler at the top of the drawer, email, news, web browser, ftp and irc clients and so on inside.

A new product would create a folder, either on the desktop itself or in the Programs folder, containing objects for the various components; it may also put objects for its documents in the Info folder.

The launcher has (as I recall) four buttons that cannot be removed, thought they CAN be hidden; I can recall two of them - logoff and window list.

The launcher can be closed; a double-tap anywhere on the desktop opens it and brings it to the top. With this behaviour, there's no need to tie it to the edge.

It is also possible to have more than one launcher.

In the GNOME context, one might have a different launcher on each desktop.

I like the idea of double click on the background. Gnome already has drawers like this.

--
Jesus loves you, but I think your an a*shole!