Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus user testing at MIT

Le ven, 05 jan 2001 23:26:39, david a écrit :
> I was thinking soley of having cursor feedback in the
> "launching" phase, mainly for two reasons:  you can do it
> with existing programs without requiring them to be
> changed/modified (an extremely difficult process, the
> modify all open-source apps, let alone close-source)

If you move the thobbers to window manager (title bars) /
desktop manager (task list) space, you've got no more
modifying to do than with cursors.

Given the size of cursor forms an similar multi-state
throbber would fit there easylly.

> and
> also because "throbbers" do a good job of feedback in
> those apps that need it after being launched.  What you
> mention as a defect (the cursor getting "stuck" if
> something hangs on load) I see as a feature.  How many
> times have you looked and seen three or four netscape
> sessions loaded in the background, none of them visible?
> I've had it happen to me a *lot*, and if I had a spinning
> cursor telling me something was wrong, I would investigate
> it a lot sooner.

Well, better to see *what* app is stuck with a dedicated
throbber than search all launched app for the one causing
the problem.

> If you did go the way of the seperate "throbber" that apps
> reported to, how are you going to handle the transition?
> What happens when a user opens an app that hasn't been
> modified yet?  Wouldn't the inconsistency get frustrating?

Of course, for this to work the throbbers shouldn't be
embeded *in* the application windows, but in WM/desktop
manager space.

>  On the other hand, if Nautilus was handing all the
> launches, it could simply wrap any executables with that
> Xaos (or whatever it was) and instantly get feedback on
> *all* apps.  Again, what am I missing?

This shouldn't depend on nautilus.
Nautilus should not try to do WM/desktop manager work

> P.S. I think I dropped this discussion off the mailing
> list on accident. I'm adding it back to the CC: line.

This kind of discussion belongs to the gnome general gui
mailing list, not the nautilus one. I've changed the CC.

--
Nicolas