I thought this was funny and embarassingly true. From
http://joel.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$61

Software has a similar archaeological record, too: it's called the Options
dialog. Pull up the Tools | Options dialog box and you will see a history of
arguments that the software designers had about the design of the product.
Should we automatically open the last file that the user was working on?
Yes! No! There is a two week debate, nobody wants to hurt anyone's feelings,
the programmer puts in an #ifdef in self defense while the designers fight
it out. Eventually they just decide to make it an option.

Gerry