Re: win button

bhaskarshanbhagm rediffmail com (2001-02-22 at 1940.43 -0000):
> How can win button be used (similar in windows ) to activate the root menu?

Use the window manager (ie Sawfish) or foot menu manager (ie panel)
configuration tools to tie it (plus a key if it is set as modifier,
like Meta) to any task you want. Normally all config tools have a
capture feature, you select it and click the keys to set them. You
need at least one non modifier key to make it work (Shift + Alt alone
does not work, but Shift + Alt + X would be fine).

Read Xev and Xmodmap man pages for info about detecting and changing
keys and the docs of each config tool about how defining keys for
tasks. With Xev you will see what keysym your key generates (mine was
Meta), and if it does not autorepeat it is probably due to being
modifier (try holding "a" only and the try holding Shift only).

I personally changed RareSymbol(TM) keys to work as Hyper (and
MenuSymbol as Compose) so I have Hyper-X as (GNOME's) Foot meny and
Hyper-A as (Sawfish's) Root menu. Hyper is a modifier like Alt, Meta
or Control but not a default in any system I have seen, it seems to be
a old thing keep from Old Days, like Super key. But if you think it,
it is a pretty usefull modifier now, cos you can also do many other
things instead of wasting a key with only one task (I use it for two
menus, all the window ops and more... ahh! I moved Meta to Alt).

GSR