Re: UI Guidelines: Dialogs

David Grega wrote:

> How about a rule that when a user is entering data into a single-line text
> box (where the enter key serves basically no purpose), if the user presses
> enter, it is treated as if the user pressed the tab key.  Many times, when
> you're entering data, you are filling in single-line fields.  If you have a
> multiple-line field, the enter key would simply have to be treated as a
> carriage return.

Yes, that's probably a reasonable sort of rule.  (I forget off the top
of my head what the Mac and Windows styleguides recommend, it may be
just that, in fact.)

Even that rule has its exceptions, though, e.g. if the dialog only
contains a single text field and OK/Cancel buttons (such as a "rename
file" dialog).  Then you'd probably just want to type into the field,
press Enter and have the dialog disappear immediately (i.e have Enter
activate the "OK" button)...

Cheeri,
Calum.