UI Guidelines: Dialogs

> > >many database users expect it to go to the next entry field,
> > >for example (just as it would on a typewriter).
> >
> > And there's no reason why it shouldn't still do that, in form-filling
> > dialogs at least... I get just as annoyed as anyone when I have a bunch
> > of textboxes to fill out, press Enter to finish one entry and start the
> > next, and either the dialog closes or nothing happens at all.
> >
> > So yes, there's certainly a difficult problem to resolve here in that
> > sometimes (experienced) keyboard users expect Enter to work like Tab,
> > and sometimes to work like OK, and it's hard to provide a rule that
> > allows optimal keyboard navigation for every dialog.  As you say, maybe
> > Enter isn't the best choice for a 'save and close' shortcut at all, but
> > I suspect we're stuck with it, at least until keyboards with "OK" and
> > "Cancel" keys become widely available  :)

 How about a rule that when a user is entering data into a single-line text
 box (where the enter key serves basically no purpose), if the user presses
 enter, it is treated as if the user pressed the tab key.  Many times, when
 you're entering data, you are filling in single-line fields.  If you have a
 multiple-line field, the enter key would simply have to be treated as a
 carriage return.

 - David Grega