Re: Icon app launch feedback

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Jorge Ferrer Zarzuela wrote:

> I just wanted to say that I completely agree with you. Modifying the icon
> the user has clicked to launch an application is the best feedback you can
> give him/her. I wouldn't substitute the icon but just add an (animated)
> hourglass to it.

I like this idea a lot, and it offers opportunities for extending the
functionality of icons - perhaps using the almost universal
play/pause/stop symbols common on CD players/tape recorders etc. to
indicate an application's state via the icon (I've attached some badly
drawn mock-ups).

This would particularly help where an app was running on a different
desktop or workspace to its icon.

Click the icon -> a pause symbol is overlaid whilst it starts, when ready
it becomes a play symbol. If the program fails, or requires attention from
the user it becomes a stop symbol.

> There are some problems with this solution though, such as what happens
> when the user launches an application from the foot menu, but I really
> believe that this can be solved with a bit of imagination.

I think this would work pretty well with the icons in the foot menu too,
making the foot menu into a taskbar which doesn't require endless space
when lots of things are going on.

> By the way, most of this is already done in Xalf, which as you may know
> will be included in GNOME 1.4. But I believe we can improve it even more.

Its already in glib-1.2.11 I think :)

Mike

--
Mike Newman, Weston-super-Mare, UK | http://www.gtnorthern.demon.co.uk
"I think the internet is the greatest waste of time since masturbation