Regarding application holder...

Howdy, all.

I'm new on this list, so I apologize if I'm missing the point. ;)

In Ximian GNOME, there is a drop-down for running applications. It's
pretty similar to MacOS. I've been looking for this type of application
dock for a very long time, and I just don't get why nobody seems to have
taken this excellent method from the Mac, while they haven't hesitated
to take other good features of GUI as roll model. I find the
Windows-type dock pretty silly, although it's fine when the applications
are grouped together, like in KDE, GNOME and even Windows XP.

Anyway, two key elements are missing in the MacOS-type application dock.
Those are application grouping, and global minimization. The point is
that sometimes people want to get to the desktop, and that feature is
missing in this dock.

Furthermore, it has proven handy on MacOS to be able to throw all
windows of an application to the front. For example, when I'm using
SciTE and have eighteen million windows of it, I'd like to see them all
when I select the grouped application SciTE (e.g. if I don't select a
specific window from the SciTE submenu). This is not really currently
missing because it's ridiculous without the grouping. :)

Just wanted to express myself on this one, hoping that some
trigger-happy coder agreed and implemented this. I was going to do this
myself, but I'm up to my neck in work and other projects, so I don't see
me implementing this myself until late next year or something.

Peace.
Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsson
helgihg centrum is