Re: script to create icons

On 18 Apr 2001 15:04:02 -0400, jack wallen wrote:

> does anyone know if it's possible to write a shell script that will
> create an icon on the desktop that can also include a specified pic for
> said icon?

Jack,

This isn't really the right place to ask this question - as we're
actually usually deep in discussion of tiny details of UI design and
specification (or pedantic word mangling in my case!).

Anyway, in the spirit of the friendly GUI list (!) however, I'll offer
my answer to what I think you're referring.

You could write a shell script which installs icons in a directory
(gnome likes $(datadir)/pixmaps/ for its own stuff, have a poke around
there) and then copies a bunch of .desktop files (each containing a
relevant Icon=... entry) to $HOME/.gnome-desktop

That's how *I* would do it. There is sure to be a better/easier/safer
way of course. Ask on gnome-list or #gnome-help on irc.gimp.org

Mike

--
Mike Newman, Weston-super-Mare, UK | http://www.gtnorthern.demon.co.uk