Re: Gimp-style menus

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 06:09:54PM +0200, Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:
> Wrong, you have not used Gimp enough. Open the menus and keep them
> open, like with Window Maker.

Wow, been using gimp for yonks and not found that feature.

The problem is that there isn't a very strong visual affordance -- the
dotted line at the top isn't a strong clue, I just thought it was a
separator for decoration.

This is why the open look menus had a push-pin -- clicking the push pin
had the same effect as "tearing off" a pop-up menu.

Please don't expect people to read the marketing-tip-of-the-day to
work aruond UI deficiencies :-)

Seriously, thuogh, the right mouse button menu is pervasive in Windows,
was pervasive in open look (where the right mouse button, whichever
button you configured that to be, had a label on it, on the mouse,
saying "menu"), and Ithink it's a useful idiom.

But you should be able to get to everything in annother, mouseless and
visible way.  I do think the lack of a menubar in the gimp is not good;
let people tear off the menu bar, gtk already has support for that.

Lee

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam holoweb net - http://www.holoweb.net/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net www.valinor.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org www.advogato.org