Re: A call to action / Guidelines

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 02:41:53AM -0400, Christopher D. Beland wrote:
> Perhaps the Guidelines can be written in a collaborative fashion.  We
> seem to be quite willing to spend endless hours debating the "shoulds"
> of various things; why not harness that energy?  For each section of
> the Guidelines, someone could volunteer to draft something simple,
> short, and stupid.  8)  Then we could have a discussion, which the
> volunteer would then summarize in the form of a revised statement.  We
> could iterate through the various sections.  In the end, we would have
> a set of Guidelines we could present for comment from developers, the
> public, and UI experts.

I'm sure that this list can collaboratively write the Guidelines, but
I wonder whether it would also require someone to work as an editor to
coordinate which topics need to be covered, perhaps to rewrite
sections so that the reader doesn't see the changes in voice that
multiple writers would create... that sort of thing...

If you think such a role is necessary I'm willing to volunteer for it.
Whether you'd think I'm the right person for it is another matter.

My only reservation in doing so is this: On August 10th Arlo Rose
stated on this list that he was the maintainer of the Gnome GUI
Guidelines, and that they would soon be published. However, since this
was over two months ago and since this document is one of those
should-be-finished-yesterday things, my inclination would be to press
ahead without him.

Other than these issues, I'm entirely in agreement with Christopher's
post.

colin

  rtnl  http://rational.cjb.net     c z robertson ndirect co uk
  ak    http://kitching.cjb.net                    icq 13294163