Interface suggestions

I have read this mailing list for quite some time, and I've thought
about ways of making Gnome feel more intuitive.
I've created a mockup, which can be found here:
http://linuxguiden.org/bilder/newdesktop.png

I have some comments:
1. I don't really like the regular "desk-guide" way of organizing
virtual desktops. It seems to me that people generally has problems
understanding the concept of several viewports. Because of this, I've
tried to use notebook-tabs for the desktop. This could probably be
created with a simple panel-applet. Does this seem intuitive, or is it a
bad idea?
2. I hate the whole "start-menu"-concept, because it takes to long to
start anything, and multilevel trees is confusing, and may hide valuable
applications in subtrees not easily found. Instead I propose a flat
structure of only one level of folders, like shown on the bottom of the
mockup. They way I've solved it is not important, but the concept of a
more flattened structure IMHO is.
But where should stuff like "run program" and "log out" go?
3. (Not in the mockup). I would like the option (IMHO default) of making
programs like Gimp, Gnumeric (etc) put their toolbox in a Gnome-panel.
Perhaps a global Gnome-panel for all kinds of applications. The sane way
to do it is probably how MacOS handles menus.
4. (Not in the mockup) I've seen it suggested that the taskbar groups
windows belonging to an application together. Perhaps like a small
dropdown consisting of all Gimp-windows grouped together.
Perhaps a single click on the group could bring up ALL windows of the
application, and holding the button down for a short period, will give
you the menu. IMO you should be able to bring up all the windows of an
application in a much easier way than today. Often it is impossible to
know which object in the taskbar is exactly the image you want to edit,
when using Gimp.

I'm currently in the process of learning Gtk+ (both through C and
Python), so that I may contribute to Gnome, but it would be a shame if
some good suggestions (for you to decide) drowned, because I'm not
currently capable of implementing it myself.

Gaute Lindkvist
lindkvis linpro no