Re: Running vs starting apps

<curiosity type="sincere">
How much discussion has there been on this list of alternative interfaces other
than the standard WIMP interface?
</curiosity>

>From what I have seen, GNOME seems to be going in the right direction by trying to
make everything componentized/bonobo-ized.

Like how the UNIX shell uses lots of little programs as tools to allow one to do
fantastic things on the line command, so too should a GUI user environment be a
set of small tools that come together to solve problems (whether it is creating
documents, listening to music, or solving complex mathematical progblems).  So
far, the structure *around* the tools has been an WIMP interface, but has there
been discussion on how to use bonobo components outside of the normal interface?
Is this even possible, rally, or is so much tied into GTK that the only way to
extend it is through making a radically different toolkit?

While I am all for getting rid of the current generation of interfaces, I think
that starting over from nothing would be counterproductive.  Instead, I think it
would be better to make good tools (components) that can later be used in a
different environment (advanced user interfaces)