Re: User interface suggestions

> I would be more supportive of this idea if the icons were not the same kind
> of grayscale as a disabled button.  Rather, I'd prefer something like
> colored and uncolored - like the old MSIE 3 toolbar where icons are colored
> in grayscale colors then when you move your mouse over them, it becomes
> colored.

*amazed*  What the _point_ of doing this, though?  I never understood! :)

> Something like that I would support since it is not confusing

Some people might argue that it IS confusing.  My argument again, though,
is WHY?

One of the reasons I think this kind of superfluous interface response can
be _bad_ is that when you're trying to use the interface over a network
(esp. a slow one), you don't want the client redrawing stuff over and over
just because you moved the mouse around some! :)

Also, asking the server to continuously send mouse motion events is
expensive, too.

-bill!

PS - Gnome Panel already does something like this with panel buttons
(although it's simply a lightening of the button when the mouse goes
over.. I think you can also have it set up to not show the tile background
unless the mouse is over it).