Re: User interface suggestions

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 schachte cs mu oz au wrote:

> I agree the boldface is good.  You could control what's bold by setting
> a threshold frequency (boldface any items selected on average more than
> 1 time in every n times any item from the menu is selected), or by
> setting a number of items (the n most frequently selected items are
> boldfaced), or by recentness (the n most recently selected items are
> boldfaced).  I'm not sure which I like best.  The first is complex, but
> allows more items to be boldfaced if lots of items are often selected
> and fewer if only few items are used.

Good suggestions! :)  All of them could be present in configuration
options... For the default, perhaps the first one (percentage) looks fine?

> Here's another idea:  rather than making this a feature of the panel
> menus, build it into the gtk menu widget as a switchable option, so
> other programs with big menus could benefit from it, too.  It would
> also be even more useful in selectable list widgets, where there may be
> dozens or hundreds of items.

Yes, I forgot to say... all suggestions could be applied to similar cases.
I made the suggestion with panel menus, but it applies in general to all
gnome menus. For example, in aplication toolbars, the text under the icons
could be boldfaced too, and the menus, and...

> The only trouble with this idea is that t
> he history of what items have been selected really should be saved
> between runs of the program.  I don't know whether gtk has the ability
> to save that kind of information between runs.

Humm... I think gtk programmers will have the answer to be able to
implement it :).

								Adrián