Re: Tooltips, Labels, and the Dots

John Sullivan <sullivan@eazel.com> writes:

> I would phrase that a little differently. All the tooltips for an
> application should use the same style, whether that is noun phrases or
> complete sentences. I haven't thought long enough about this to
> recommend one or the other at this time. But in your gnumeric
> examples, "Print preview" is a noun phrase (though "preview printing"
> is a complete sentence) and "Undo the operation" is a complete
> sentence.

Our position are not that far away from each other.  Once we'll have an
agreement, I'll talk to the Gnumeric developers and then a native
speaker should glance through the tooltip texts.

> These are inconsistent and one or the other should be changed.

Yes.  Perhaps, one step back first.  In general gnome-libs are nice to
read (for me who's native language is German).  gnome-libs seem to use
these short but complete sentences.  Do you think we should start to add
dots (for th 2.0 release)?

The next step would be to convince the developers to use the "stock menu
items" shipped with the gnome-libs; this way every application will
automagically inherit the Right Style.

--
work : ke@suse.de                          |
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |          ------    ,__o