Re: scroll bar and drop down list usability

>And C-V normally means page down... ;) But that's only normal for my

Yes, emacs style.

>particular world view which is *much* different than the majority of
>computer users (though maybe not for programmers). I agree that
>terminal emulation windows deserve special treatment. However, I'd
>also like to think they are legacy interfaces that shouldn't dictate
>the development of the rest of the interface.

That seems to be the best solution, leaving old things like terms as thery
were, and implement new GUI in a reasonable way. From my group of users, the
GUI ones do not use terminals (or rarelly), while the "no X" or "X is a
better way to have consoles" already know how to handle all the mess.

>IMHO, cut and paste are important enough to have named keys on the
>keyboard. Why we have "Scroll Lock" and "Esc" but not "Paste" is totally
>mysterious to me.

Escape aborts things, it should be linked to the Cancel button of all
dialogs (plus old style tasks, like emacs). Scroll Lock locks the scroll,
freezes the console (have you used FreeBSD?), I use it when console starts
to spit lot of data and I want to see the top, and graphical apps could use
it in a similar way (Pause should pause the app, not the screen). Maybe we
could use Insert (instead of "change mode insert / overstrike" in Windows, a
thing that I do selecting and then typing).

GSR