Re: trouble with the new menu panel

[...]
>Furthermore, with menus stuck inside the app you tend to get crowding
>problems like with the Gimp. You have to put all your menu commands in this
>tiny little space so you end up with a bunch of submenus that are painful to
>use on a regular basis. True, this is partially ameliorated by having
>tear-off menus but I still think the better approach is to use the top of
>the screen.

IIRC the Gimp "under the pointer" menu is another example of Fitt's law
(borders, corners, under the pointer are the better places for things).

[...]
>Anyway, this is why I make the appeal that the top of the screen get
>"reserved" for a menu swallowing app. If people get used to the 1.2 menu bar
>they will be that much more reluctant to even try Mac style menus. The top
>edge of the screen is really valuable space. I feel like you could
>incorporate what's already in the menu bar with a menu swallowing app and
>make everyone happier.

I beleive the menu swallower is in the TODO. But in my case, I prefer under
the pointer (or key combo, which is faster). Due that "horrendous excess of
configurability" I can choose better how my desktop works. For example I do
not have GNOME menu, I just use a terminal or move the pointer to bottom
left corner and right click.

All that people that say that too much configuration is bad, IMHO, are
wrong. The problems are a bad default (first impression, and lot of people
do not change) and a complex way to change it (people change even less if
not easy).

It seems I would have to screenshot my unfinished desktop (working in the
Sawfish theme, the rest is more or less finished) to show why configuration
is great (not saying that current defaults are right, nor that mine should
be the default).

GSR