GUI programming

Hi,
  I am new to the gnome development community and would like to get involved in ui interface programming.  However, I'm a little bit lost as to where to start.  Is there any documentation that I can look that will describe the overall structure of gnome, and which sections of code are responsible for what tasks?  I would like to add a file manager to the 'new launcher' menu, so that users can graphically select new programs, rather than having to type in the name and path of the program.  This would be immensely useful, I can't name the number of times that I have forgotten the exact spelling of a program's name, and had to open up a separate terminal window to find the exact path so that I could key it in correctly.  The problem is, I don't know where the code that is responsible for this is located.  To be more specific, I am looking for the code that is excecuted when the user clicks with the right mouse button on the desktop, and then chooses 'new launcher'.  Any documentation or assistance in understanding the architecture and layout of the gnome source would be greatly appreciated, as I have other projects that I would also like to attempt once I get a better handle on the source.
thanks,
Jon Schindler