Re: Another view on file dialogs.

Christian Rose wrote:
> My only gripe with such ideas is that they are really nice ideas but a
> tremendous amount of hard work to make a reality. How many GNOME/GTK+
> programs are there out there that are dependant on the "file dialog"
> concept?

Yes.  I'm not saying this is wrong, or anything.  I'm just thinking ahead a
bit.

> Right now, my personal concern is that the current file dialog sucks and
> there should be done something about it, the sooner the better. That
> implies that there should be a functional redesign, not a radical new
> concept. But that might just be my opinion. ;-)

Yes.  Once we have *good* file dialogs, we can turn our attention to the
foundation of the OS.  Computers can do a lot of nifty things if you program
them to, and real world metaphors tend to limit you because the metaphors
are from the real world.  By doing to a data centric interface, we can leap
ahead a bit in terms of usability.  We'd add a central data opening and
creation tool, and augment the existing file dialogs with new meta-data
features.  Sounds nifty?  I hope so :)

--
    www.kuro5hin.org -- technology and culture, from the trenches.