Re: First UI component needing replacement.

I've actually grown to like having my directories and files mixed together,
but not the left-right scrolling that Windows insists on.  My favorite file
dialogs so far are those in MS Office 97 (haven't seen 2000).  It has a
number of options that are very useful, although it is slightly
over-cluttered.  An MRU list seems strange to me as this should be a part of
the main desktop/file manager UI (IMHO) ... unless the file manager is
componentised (as it should be) to offer a file open/file save dialog with
the same visual features as a normal browsing dialog (plus a couple options
like default extension, etc.).

That said, I'd be even more impressed with a more finder-ish style (see list
archives for my suggestion on how to do a (IMHO) proper hierarchial file
browser ...

(basic finder style shown below:)

v folder
 o folder
 o folder
 v folder
  []file
  []file
  []file
 o folder

Except that I would change some of the scrolling characteristics, as well as
show the full path below the title bar.  Files could even be given
side-by-side with:

v folder
 o folder
 o folder