Re: panel menu functionality...

Glenn Mitchell Arndt wrote:
> > What about developing an 'in-place-menu-editor' that gets activated using
> > the context menu, activates the drag feature and keeps the menu open
> > (similar to MS Office)? It should also display a message box somewhere
> > (somewhere meaning not covering the menu :-) ) where you can click Finish to
> > commit the changes and Cancel to cancel editing.
>
> Jorg -- I think your 'in-place-menu-editor' idea is perfect. It would give
> me what I want without undermining consistency and ease of use of the
> menus. Too bad I haven't the foggiest idea how to develop it. :-(

Note: all of this would occur within the "menu" popup code, most likely
located in gnome-core.

First off, add a gboolean value to indicate whether we are in d'n'd mode, or
'normal' mode.  Second, add a toggle to the properties menu of the popup
given from right clicking.  From there, you can just impelement handling of
the d'n'd messages if the gboolean indicates it's required, and copy the
reordering code from the menu edit.  It's probably as simple as resorting a
linked list and telling the Gnome API to save the menu.  Save an original
copy in memory somewhere, though, so that the Cancel button isn't another
mislabeled close button (you wouldn't believe how many times people put in a
cancel button that cancels nothing).  The location of the Finish/Cancel
dialog can be either left to the wm to automagically place it, or you can
just pick the opposite corner of the screen from the menu's location based
on its absolute position, and and screen geometry.

Oh, and it'd be nice if you could replace that "Favorites" string with
something not-MS-IE, such as "User menu" or "Personal menu"..  the
favourites idea is a silly concept anyway.  None of the programs I have in
there are my "favorites," they're just programs I installed which did not
create a menu entry (and I did not feel like sudo menuedit to add to the
system menu).

--
    www.kuro5hin.org -- technology and culture, from the trenches.