Re: Gnome menubars

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Peter wrote:

> I am thinking of Gnome-ifying one of my programs.
>
> Just some questions about the menubar system.
>
> 1/ Is it possible to have checkmark-able menu items?
>
> 2/ If so, is it possible to change their state on the fly? Ie turn the
> check off or 	   on while the menubar/window is still open.
>
> I'd appreciate any help in these areas.

Hi,

You're probably on the wrong list; this is for UI issues. Most development
traffic has been on gtk-app-devel and gtk-list in the past, though
technically those don't cover Gnome, so gnome-list is good too.

What you want is a GtkCheckMenuItem. In Gnome you can get this with
gnome-app-helper, creating a GNOME_APP_UI_TOGGLEITEM (or something like
that; look at the headers, and I think there are even docs in CVS now, see
gnome-libs/devel-docs/gnome-app-helper.sgml). In Gtk you create it
manually or with the ItemFactory, both covered in the Gtk tutorial. You
can set the state, no problem. (The function is even called that, I
think.) To set state in Gnome you'll have to use the widget pointer in the
GnomeUIInfo struct.

Whenever you're looking for a widget, the best thing to do is run
'testgtk' from the Gtk distribution. testgtk.c contains sample code to use
each widget too. Of course, it doesn't include Gnome widgets; some of
those are in 'testgnome' and 'stock_demo' but not all.

Havoc