backups

In a letter <josch@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de> wrote something like this:

> I would like to add some thoughts about backup files saved by various
> programs. Often I see and hear of new users deleting their working
> Programmers know something like a source or revision control system,
> saving not only the last version of their work but the complete
> history of changes done. All the versions back to ``hello world''---if
> Wouldn't it be nice to have this feature present in user programs,
> too? Maybe it could even be built into the OS: a filesystem that keeps
> track of any changes for selected file-types. Of course this would
> need some clever interface to access the older versions ... :-)

I agree!
I would be nice!
Very nice!

But still... building this feature into the very OS???
What OS did you had in mind?
Linux?
Free-BBS?
(GNOME is not an OS, you know :-)

Perhaps the most user friendly solution would be to create a brand new
 diskformat that could be supported by a couple of OS'es...
... but I presume that it would be far easier (and therefore with a less dangerous)
 to create a new *file*format with logging support.

This fileformat could then be handled by GNOMEapps through a CORBA interface.
(with different logging technics for different types of files)
That way most GNOMEapps would support logging of older fileversions, and the rest of
 the OS would behave in it's normal way (actually the OS wouldn't have to change at all).

The drawback would be that normal programs, not running under GNOME,
 would be unable to read this logged fileformats.

Another, perhaps less preferable way would be to implemet some kind
 of 'log storage' (allso with a CORBA interface), there you could store
 older versions of different files.

mvh
//Liss
liss@ydab.se