Editorial from X Author on Freshmeat

I don't know how many of you have read this or seen it, but I think
it is a very good editorial on the state of things right now.  There
are some positive comments about both GNOME and E in the article, but
I think that the most important things (in the context of this list)
is the discussions about alternate input/output mechanisms and
especially the discussion about modularity.

On the subject of modularity raised in this article, I think it is
one are which will be a big deal.  Microsoft has already started to
implement this sort of thing using OLE/COM.  They were first.  Now
the WWW browsers are doing similar things by supporting plug-ins
which allow Acrobat files to be displayed within the browser rather
than spawned as seperate applications.  My hope is that some of what
the baboon architecture is all about will address this issue as well,
but it definately bears discussion within this context because there
are some questions which need t be answered in this area:

How will embedded applications behave?

What UI will enable the user to control, interact and switch between
embedded applications?

What UI is necessary to configure/manage this interaction (if any)?

While I'm not a huge fan of the OLE/COM embedding mechanism--there
are times when i don't WANT to open the document inside another
application because of what I intend to do with it--it is definately
something which is around and a source of one approach to gaining the
modularity discussed in the article.

ast

Begin forwarded message: