Re: fundamentals of the gnome user interface

Bowie Poag wrote:

> The same should go for any style guide. Construction guidelines for user
> interfaces should NOT be written in such a way as to dumb-down the user's
> ability to utilize a specific tool. One button mice, and single-tasking
> OS'es are the hallmarks of that mode of thinking. *hint hint*. :)

single-tasking os's, agreed. one-button mice are good design because
they fit into both tiers:

1.) the casual user has only to click to select a target, then click
again to select the function to be performed on that target.

2.) the power user uses his keyboard to modify the meaning of that one
click. the macintosh, for instance, has a 102-button mouse, a fact that
those who never use it never seem to realize but that mac devotees
absolutely love about it. :) a much better option than the seven-button
mouse i saw at the computer store the other day. talk about a ceiling.
:)

also, please check my post to federico for further agreement and
commentary about your idea of "levels." i think that should be added to
the style guide too, also under "fundamentals" (and further elaborated
elsewhere).

btw, was it you with whom i was arguing about the imac? i believe my
eventual argument was to let the sales tell the story... if it wasn't
you i apologize but i have to say "i told you so" to _some_body. :)

--
| To ensure privacy and data integrity this message |