Embeddable components (WAS: Re: Editorial from X Author on Freshmeat

Begin forwarded message:
>From: Federico Mena Quintero <federico@nuclecu.unam.mx>
>>  the baboon architecture is all about will address this issue as well,
>>  but it definately bears discussion within this context because there
>>  are some questions which need t be answered in this area:
>>
>>  How will embedded applications behave?
>>
>>  What UI will enable the user to control, interact and switch between
>>  embedded applications?
>>
>>  What UI is necessary to configure/manage this interaction (if any)?
>
>Since once you have embeddable components you can do pretty much
>anything about the surrounding user interface, we are free to
>experiment with this.  Please look at the OLE documentation to see
>what kind of assumptions it has as far as the user interface is
>concerned.

Just to let everyone know, I haven't forgotten about this.  I have been
otherwise allocated as far as time goes this week.  Chapter 11 of the WIG
(Windows Interface Guidelines for Software Design, 1995 Edition) seems to
cover the interaction of OLE objects from the user perspective.  I haven't
had a chance to read it in detail yet, but I will try and do that this
weekend.  There are several things which they reccomend from a UI POV which
might make sense for us to consider.  I'll have more info after I re-read the
chapter.

ast