Re: Style Guide suggestion

From: Gleef <gleef@capital.net>

>> > (It should probably also be specified where the "Preferences..." menu
>> > item goes, but I have no strong opinion on that except that the "File"
>> > menu is a bad place).
>>
>> this should, of course, be in the "edit" menu. ("edit... preferences"
>> makes a complete sentence that gives your computer a clear, definite
>> command.)
>
>I strongly disagree.  Take a look at Gnomine, it has two menus, "Game" and
>"Help" (at least it did the last time I looked at it).  "Game" is of
>course an acceptable renaming of "File" by the style guide.  Under the
>"Game" menu, it has a properties item, for setting the preferences we are
>discussing.  Would you require such a program to add an "Edit" menu, for
>the sole purpose of holding this preferences item.

Since Gnomine doesn't have a file menu, it should be perfectly OK to put
menu items that usually go under "Edit" in the "Game" menu. I
believe the Preferences/Options/Settings/Properties menu shouldn't be in the
"Edit" menu. "File" would, sematicly, be a better place but is usually
crowded by other commands. Like you said, it's much easier to find the
options menu if was in the "File" menu.

The noun "properties" refers to (file) object properties, and should IMHO
NOT be used for program options. "Preferences" makes me think of options
which controls the visual aspect of an application (which is up to everyone
to change), and not the behaviour of certain commands. "Options" is probably
more appropriate here.

Oskar Liljeblad (osk@hem.passagen.se)