Re: Self Documenting Interfaces

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>
To: Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com>
Date: Friday, July 24, 1998 7:08 AM
Subject: Re: Self Documenting Interfaces

>Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
>> Whatever features are going to significantly increase the penetration and
>> understandability of this user interface must be part of it.  I can make
>> strong case for arguing that the single most effective way to learn an
>> application is not to read a help file but rather to watch a
demonstration
>> of a given feature being used accompanied by either text or voice.  It
>> should be *standard* to have the author of an app walk you through
actually
>> using it, either with text or with voice.  *THIS* is the way GNOME can
>> overpower the competition by sheer quality.
>
>voice.
>
>I'm not sure about the whole feature (how many megs will this take up?) but
>it HAS to be voice. text will distract from watching "the show".

Voice has to be optional.  *LINUS* doesn't have a sound card :-)

I think Screenplays make the ultimate illustrators.  I used to debate and I
KNOW how bad alot of people are at speaking; I wouldn't want to have to
DEPEND on speech for documentation.

It can be a nice touch, though.

>also, it has to have a rewind feature, easily accessible. demonstrations
>tend to work the way that if you miss an important point, you're lost.

Like I said, breakpoints  'n stuff.