Re: To answer your question about the upcoming Style-Guide...

> Applications need to automatically add themselves to something.  As for
> where, I'm arguing that there be a standard set of categories(there are
> already, aren't there?) as well as maybe a standard set of subcategories.
> Stuff would try to go into its own home.

this is already there

> >the gnome panel is not a single bar panel ... that's just the way it starts
>
> >up at first .. and that's the way most people like it as it seems
>
> Can the Gnome panel be dual bar on a single side?

you mean in two rows, so that two ful.l bars are seen at the same time?

no note yet ...

however you can have two bars on the same side .. and you can hide them one in
each corner ...

> >plus if they were any smaller they would be hard to hit with the mouse ...
>
> Uh?  You kidding?  If they were any bigger they'd be hard to miss.  :-)
> Seriously, small icons in Win32 are 16x16 pixels and they're completely
> clickable.  It's not hard to select lines of text, and they're about this
> size if not smaller.  Almost everything you've said is valid, but not this
>:-)

it does require more concentration  to hit a small button ... it is very
easy to hit a 48x48 button ... and I for one like it that way ...
plus since I'm writing th epanel .. that's the way it will most likely end
up:) ...

really if the buttons were smaller, what would happen if you put a
cd player in there ... you'd have a wide bar with a bunch of small buttons
on it

> >that's why there are all those ways to hide the panels out of the way
>
> Hurm.  I think the need to hide something shows a flaw in design...

nope .. I don't see why it should be smaller ... I want to start apps
fast ... a bunch of small icons would not do too good

> >ummm .. I don't really know what you mean here ... if I have a corner
> >applet on the top .. I can still use the rest of that side for extra space
> >for smaller windows ... it would only be "wasted" had I used only one
> >app at a time, maximized over the screen .. and even then ... I can just
> >put the app over the panel ...
>
> Bleagh.  If I'm gonna go to all the trouble of having a panel set up, it
> should remain topped.  Not to mention, finding smaller windows to really fit
> in there doesn't work wonderfully.  You just end up with tons of overlaps,
> which GUIs really need to start learning how to gracefully eliminate.

find it nice enough ... I have two larger xterms open usually, one in the
upper left and one on the lower right ...

> >this is what session managment does ... no need for a keybinding ... just
> >start up a default session from gdm (or whatever the name will be)
> >
> >or start up a different one you saved ...
> >
> >though the apps aren't session specific, the system menu can't be changed
> >by a user anyhow ... so a user can always build his user menu any way he
> >wishes
>
> Whatever it is needs to be simple enough for the newbie to save him or
> herself without using the CLI.

session managment will have a gui (most likely provided by the panel)

if the user kill shis menu applet ... just right click on any panel (it
won't let you delete them all) and "add main menu" ... and then start
a menu editor ... and redo your personal menu ...

> >you seem to be forgetting that redhat is not the only distribution out
> >there ... plus they did have this habit of putting more windowmanagers
> >in there anyhow ... so it's not like they will use one
> >
> >and I really really doubt redhat would be as naive as to include E as the
> >default WM ... most likely the default in redhat will still be
> >fvwm2 and afterstep
>
> Haven't both Redhat and Debian committed to making Gnome the standard UI?

yup .. and most likely other distros will follow suit soon after .. I know
at least stampede wants to install both ... and except for people like
caldera and suse (who have invested in KDE already) ... I think most
will use it

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: