Re: Revisiting App Menu

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Carl Thompson wrote:

> On 8 Jul 1998, Russell Nelson wrote:
>
> > Carl Thompson writes:
> >  > On 8 Jul 1998, Preben Randhol wrote:
> >  > >  ---------------------
> >  > >  | Gnome  File  Help |
> >  > >  -|-----|-------------
> >  > >   |     --------
> >  > >   |Preferences |
> >  > >   |About       |
> >  > >   |Exit        |
> >  > >   |------------|
> >  >
> >  > 1. New converts aren't going to know to look under the Gnome menu to exit
> >  >    the program.  I think the extra menu will throw some people off.
> >
> > <shrug>.  For the past fifteen years, every menuing system has had the
> > "exit" or "quit" command at the bottom of the leftmost menu.  It's not
> > like it's a new concept.
>
> For the past fifteen years, if there was a "file" menu, it was the leftmost
> menu...

	Not true.  Look at BeOS, look at MacOS...  Hey, look at some
Windows programs.  :^)  This is MOSTLY standard, but not always...

						-Ben

Benjamin Kahn                        /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'
(212) 924 - 2220                    |,4-  ) )-,_ ) /\
 If you love something, write it in C; if it compiles, it is yours;
                     if it doesn't, it never was.