Re: gnome standard font?

> At 11:25 AM 2/2/98 -0500, <nuke@bayside.net> wrote:
> >i think we (someone?) should work on a standard font for Gnome. think of
> >it this way.. Mac has that ugly square boldish thing, OS/2 has the cool
> >tall thin letters, and Win95 has the perfectly proportional "Microsoft
> >Sans Serif". Gnome has.. whatever the server machine has installed, could
> >be helvetica, who knows. it would be a good idea if we had maybe one or
> >two fonts that would be used for everything in the widgets, including
> >buttons, labels, lists, etc. this could get us even closer to a "standard
> >desktop environment"
> >
> >just a thought..
> >note that i have no idea how bitmapped fonts are drawn, as i've never seen
> >any utilities that can do that. if anyone else knows, please enlighten me
>
> Oh, no. Here we go again. One man's art is another man's garbage. For
> example, every screen shot one sees of Enlightenment shows an IRC client
> with that nexus font. Well, I am not E1EET enough for that K3WL font. And
> besides, I run a TrueType font server. So if you want to make TrueType
> Geneva the GNOME standard font, I am all for it. And don't forget, E is
> about to go non-traditional with its font support, i.e. the bitmapped
> fonts. All sarcasm aside, this is policy, and should be determined at the
> user level. :)
well, i didn't say *FORCE* the user to use the Gnome font. my idea was to
provide a STANDARD for a DEFAULT Gnome setup. it should most certainly be
customizable.

|        / |/ /_ __/ /_____         |       Nuke Skyjumper               |
|       /    / // /  '_/ -_)        |         "Master of the Farce"      |