Re: GNOME wm hints proposal (Draft)

At 06:26 PM 2/16/98 +0100, Marko Macek wrote:

>Well, if I switched to E in it's current state, I would spent a lot of
>time
>hacking themes trying to make it work in a sane manner (fvwm* have the
>same problem). Instead I wrote a window manager that works well by
>default
>without any configuration for anyone that can be productive with windows
>or os/2 interface. This means mostly having a usable FEEL, because feel
>is
>*much* more important than look. Icewm provides configurable look, but
>feel is mostly hardcoded to make things consistent and productive.

Um, I have made some patches to icewm that allow some of the hard-coded
feel to
be defined in the icewm config files. I will send them to you, but these
probably go against the philosophy of your wm. Things like yes/no "Start"
button, because I use the GNOME panel's menu, and the Start button just takes
up space on my winlist/taskbar. I also added the option for say right-clicking
on the root window, the popup menu can have entries for the GNOME desktop
properties dialogs, etc. I also added an option for icewm to check the user's
.gnome directory at startup for info on what to display on the root, what kind
of setup for the screen saver/locker (so the icewm menu option for ss will
actually work with GNOME's ss). Maybe you would consider a "GNOME" theme in
addition to Nice, Warp3, and the others, and allow for some config of those
things. I have done some work in this area already. I started with the "Nice"
L&F, and made it even more gtk-ish. Some of my changes can't be implemented
into the main dist without this, things like changing the scrollbar on the
Ctrl-Esc (I think?) Task List popup to match gtk's, changing the arrows on the
cascading menus to match gtks, etc. If a GNOME theme was specified, then this
stuff could be added without affecting the other themes (which are too good to
not keep exactly as they are).

M.Watson redline@pdq.net