Re: actual proposal

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Wednesday, August 26, 1998 1:16 PM
Subject: Re: actual proposal

>Federico Mena Quintero <federico@nuclecu.unam.mx> wrote:
>> >  I suppose, if feasable, we could expand Keythemes to include whole
text
>> >  processing patterns, so a user could load up a "vi" theme that would
>> >  generalize vi to all text entry mechanisms.
>>
>> This has been discussed to great extent in the Gnome and Gtk lists.
>
>it brings me to another (unrelated) point. not sure whether this is a gui
or
>a gtk issue:
>
>a right-button context menu, like in gimp or ee, should return the pointer
>to where it was when it's closed. there is no reason not to, and I know
that
>I am getting quite some additional mouse miles retracking where I've been.
>if I remember correctly, this is one of brook's main points of critique on
>the menu structure we have today (menubar at window top). a right-button
>context menu could solve that problem as well, but it does a poor job at
the
>moment.

I'd prefer an extension to the double-click mousing idea I was talking about
a while back.  It associates right clicking with a mouse position.  Keep in
mind, while this is merely "nice" for many, this should be a noticable
advantage for the disabled.

Double-left click on menu bar item returns to last opened command in that
menu.
Double-left click on blank area in menu returns to last opened command in
last opened menu.
Double-left click on menu item triggers that item and returns mouse to menu
header.
Double-right click anywhere returns to the last opened item in that specific
context menu.
Double-left click on context menu item returns mouse to original location.

How's that sound?  I think it'd be awfully disconcerting to me to have my
mouse move around on its own, unless I specifically told it to.  (mainly
because if I was telling it to, it'd have to remember where I wanted it to
go.)