RE: Deaf people

> Oh, by the way Josh, I have not one but *TWO* deaf friends and it
> turns out
> that 30 million americans--a damn large chunk of the
> population--suffers
> from some degree of hearing loss.

	[Josh Steiner]  Includeing me :)

> I don't think there was ANY disagreement AT ALL in here when we
> suggested
> that we provide usability for the disabled.  So maybe would should
> specify

	[Josh Steiner]  It is very good that people have aknowledge how
important it is too keep our styleguides thoughtful of the disabled.

> that all apps that have critical sound effects also have visual
> alternatives, at least available?  I can't describe to you the anger
> my deaf
> friends have when they play a new game and there is no closed
> captioning.

	[Josh Steiner]  Absolutely.

> I'm not saying trash sound.  I'm just saying that sound should either
> be
> fluff or it should be supplementable.

	[Josh Steiner]  True, we need to make sure that there are always
multiple ways of expressing information.  You didn't really address my
concern though, which was that arbitrarily limiting the lengths sound
that a program can use _will_ disqualify a whole set of valid interface
options.  The gain for the loss just doesn't cover it.  This should not
be mandated, it should merely be a suggestion.

	- Josh (I guess I don't _need_ to sign since this irritating M$
product forcably inserts my name all over my reply... I need to remeber:
"M$ products are smarter than me.  I don't _need_ options, the computer
knows best"  :) ick. )