Re: PROPOSAL: UISG Notification Sample Length Standardization

-----Original Message-----
From: John R Sheets <dusk@smsi-roman.com>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Friday, August 14, 1998 11:20 AM
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: UISG Notification Sample Length Standardization

>Or perhaps sound events need to be separated into two categories:
>user events and system events, each with different sound
>lengths.  In this case, I would suggest 2 seconds for user events
>(mouse clicks, etc.), and 5 seconds for system events (mail
>notification, etc.).  However, I think a flat 5 seconds would be
>just as good (i.e. simpler, less to bicker & fret over).

The length of the sound--or even the existence of the sound--should be
inversely proportional to the amount of times it can be expected to be
heard.  So I like this.

Oh, by the way--sounds should be allowed to be randomized within a
category--in other words, If I want to have one of 30 different sounds
triggered when I minimize, I REALLY should be allowed to.