Re: What I'm doing

Dan Effugas Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
> I'd say *many* more users are pissed off about the utter mess that their
> launch menus become every time they install something new.

true. I've already proposed what I consider a good AND easy-enough-for-the-
simple-user solution to this. scream if you missed it and I'll post it
again.

> I'd say *many* more users are pissed off about their applications crashing.

true. but that's by far not as  worse in a unix environment as in a windoze
one, so even without doing one thing they'll be quite pleased if they used
wincrap before. :)

> I'd say *many* more users are pissed off about every time they modify a
> system setting, they have to reboot.

ditto - true, but not a problem on unix.

> You might wonder why I say the above.  Linux is winning because it's
> *PRAGMATICALLY* better.  Nobody cares about the fact that Linux is coded
> better, or more elegantly, or with greater freedom, or is based on 30 years
> of research, or whatever.

but those are the BACKGROUNDS. better coding brings more stability, more
elegance makes better coding easier and leads to things like dynamic
changing of  settings (i.e. no reboots). greater freedom  has brought us the
most powerful (gnu) tools. and years and years of research are what makes
things  like tex possible in the first place.

sure people don't care about that. but it's necessary groundwork for the
things they DO care about.

> I can bring up a million examples.  Point is, File is really not something
> that's relevant.  FIX WHAT THE USER HATES LEST THE USER HATE YOU.

I never said I disagree :)

I just meant to say that priority doesn't necessarily mean a time-order.

		-- Henry Spencer