Re: GnomeCLI

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Dan "Effugas" Kaminsky wrote:

> Heh guys, GNOME has an object model...GNOME has scriptability...GNOME apps
> might not even *have* a GUI but still be able to be called GnomeCLI apps by
> nature of certain features or CLI standards they adhere to, including docs,
> standard options, etc...
>
> Remember:  WE'RE DESIGNING A TOTAL INTERFACE HERE.

Exactly! I've been considering ways in which the CLI could be improved and
made more usable without detracting from its intended use.

For example (just to start brainstorming) the shell could have a better
understanding of the syntax of commands, and use this to assist the user
(e.g., via tab-completion). I'm constantly typing 'cvs up<tab>' and
expecting it to finish the command for me.

There are a few other variations on the idea. Maybe I'll write something
up...

Tim Moore