Re: GNOMEPrint, Icons, and shades of InSight..

Bowie Poag wrote:

> This is why its a bad idea for the (foot) icon to be on the menu bar with
> text. Text is something you WANT to have exacting control over the size
> of. 7 point, 8 point, 9 point, 10 point, whatever. You cant really do the
> same thing to icons without incurring the wrath of Ugly Icon Syndrome. The
> best scaling engines in the room will produce a crappy looking icon if the
> icon isnt A) Bilaterally symmetric, and B) Scaled to a resolution which is
> a factor of, or a MEDIAN between two factors of the original dimensions of
> the source image.

Well, the thing is, we've already decided _against_ scaling, so your preceding
argument, no matter how true, doesn't really apply.  And #2, we're not proposing to
do this with 256 icons.  Just the one.

As I see it, Gleef's idea for a handful of multiple pre-drawn foot images to match
with different sized fonts is a good idea, and the proper way to go.

John