Re: Tear-off menus

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, John R Sheets wrote:

> Evan,
>
> Since you're right in the middle of coding all these experimental
> new features for gEdit, you'd probably be a good person to ask
> this.
>
> How difficult would it be, code-wise, to implement the tear-off
> menu items that Ben brought up in the New Menus for Windows
> thread?  Essentially, the tear-off menu would have to be
> persistent (i.e. sticky) and have some sort of close button on
> its immediate person.
>
> Seems to me, this would require creating a free-floating window
> to house the sub-menu (and the sub-menu controls), then getting a
> pointer to the submenu and copying it into the floating window.
> Would you have to duplicate (and later remove) all the signal
> connections for the duplicate menu...or would we even need an
> explicit copy?
>
> We would also want to allow for changing menu orientation, i.e.
> horizontal vs. vertical.
>
> If this is not a big deal to implement, I think we should include
> this in the style guide.  Or even if it is a big deal, really.

	I asked about this before, and I was told that this functionality
was planned in the new version of GTK.  No one seemed to be working on it,
so I started doing it.  However, I was pulled away by other projects and I
haven't looked at it for a couple of months.  It looked like it was going
to be quite simple to do....
						-Ben

Benjamin Kahn                        /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'
(212) 924 - 2220                    |,4-  ) )-,_ ) /\
          Meet Linux: Forrest Gump as an operating system.