Re: Document

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Wahlen <mva@sbbs.se>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Thursday, August 06, 1998 12:41 AM
Subject: Document

>Ok, Bowie wanted to know if a sound sample is a document or not, according
>to the following it is:
>
>   What is a document?
>
>     * A document must convey an idea or information
>     * A document must be captured and delimited, ie. it must have a
>       definable beginning and ending.
>     * A document is not restricted to paper, nor must it be paper based
>       (such as a word processor file).

There is more.  A document is a single unit that contains numerous
subcomponents of possibly but not definitely varying sizes.  Once CAN have
an empty document, or a document that only defines structures of
subcomponents without subcomponents themselves.

>This definition of a document has been used successfully several times,
>and is more or less the defacto standard in the industry that deals with
>documents.

Replacing File with Document hasn't been suggested.  What Sun appears to
have been saying--MAYBE my memory is fuzzing out here and he's disagreeing
again with people without admitting it--is that everything should be
document, no matter what.  But, I think it was Sun who was saying that a
session context app would have a session menu, and a score context app would
have a score menu.