Re: Docking windows?

Martin Wahlen wrote:

> Hi there, some one on the generic GNOME list was talking about making
> windows "dockable". That is make two windows automaticly lineup. Now, this
> is probably more of a window manager issue than a GNOME one. But I guess
> this would be a good menu item for the "menu on the left that shall
> remaine nameless".

First, if we make this a window manager issue, then other programs
besides gnome apps would be dockable.  Therefore, I would think it is a
candidate for the list that determines the Gnomishness of
WindowManagers.

Second, I've seen some discussion (not on this list) concerning a
document oriented interface - such as a notebook to put programs in.
This could (1) be a gnome window manager feature and (2) provide (or
take advantage of) the dockable functionality.

Some thoughts on the dockable/notebook interface.  A Gnome window
manager could provide a way to register such a notebook so the wm could
place programs in it.  That way, we could choose to use an emacs style
notebook or some other type.  Programs would not be tied to any
particular management scheme, and wms wouldn't be tied to any particular
notebook interface.  One should be able to add programs by dragging
their window onto the notebook and take them out by tearing them out.
One should be able to have multiple notebooks in multiple styles...  If
programs are gnome-complient, then they are able to save state
information and one could open and close notebooks without having to
close each individual program (this would also save state information so
the notebook would be the same the next time it was opened).

This interface could be powerful if used - if done properly, it could
include non-gnome programs (though not the state-saving part).  As a
side effect, we'd get dockable windows.

--Jim Smith