Re: RGSG - contents of Program menu

Dan Effugas Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
> As I've been saying, I'm *OK* with Preferences going with the
> menuprint/Program menu.
good

> But preferences are by their nature rarely
> accessed, meaning we take the most prime real estate on the entire menu bar
> and fill it with...toys?!  I love screenplays but they're no Save command!
> This is HOPEFULLY lessened by making the icon a menuprint and not spelled
> out, but lets say it's not and we have to move the gnomeprint to the right
> of the rightmost menu.  Do we really want to drag the only copy of Exit far
> away from New?
I think everyone here agrees that the footmenu/Program (damn, how do  we
call it?) will be on the left. it  was mentioned ONCE, that PERHAPS this
might need a second  thought. it was tried to move it - and it looks
terrible. so there  your concerns go. :)

> Think about how many critical functions are in File:  New, Open, Save,
> Close, Print, even the infernal Exit.
not anymore

> Shouldn't File->New come first?
>
> Total creation and total destruction should be in the same menu, no?

I don't answer that question because you missed the point. it is NOT "total
creation" and "total destruction".

"New" creates one new instance of the document type the app knows. that is
FAR from "total". the counterpoint to "New" is NOT "Exit", but "Close",
because it closes down exactly what new created. really simple, isn't it?
new-close - you can do this any number of times and will always return to
the  starting condition after a close, which should prove to someone
searching for logic that THESE are the related items.

now looking for the item related to "Exit", we find it somewhere else - in
the panel menu for instance. the "Exit" counterpart is most obviously
whatever icon, menu entry or cli command you used to start the application.
same proof as above.

now that we have proven beyond the shadow of a doubt, employing nothing but
pure logic that "File->New" and "Program->Exit" are not counterparts, we
also see that your above argument falls to pieces.

there is no inherent logic or need to keep "New (Document)" and "Exit (App)"
in the same menu.

		-- Henry Spencer