Re: Document vs. File menu (was Re: RGSG)

Dan Effugas Kaminsky wrote:

> >You never print the file explicitly.  If you did, you'd get a raw
> >stream of binary/hex digits.  You print a _representation_ of a
> >file.  What you actually print is a conceptual interpretation of
> >a file, as seen by the application.  If the application sees it
> >as a document, you're printing a document.  If the application
> >sees the file as a music score, you're printing a music score
> >(and the command would go "Score->Print").
> >
> >If this does not address your intention, please be more clear.
>
> Raw outputted to filter outputted to printer, just like default inputted
> into the new file.

This is supposed to be more clear?  Hmmmm.

> Score->Print?  So I guess we'd see Score->Transpose, Score->Quantize,
> Score->Change Timing, and generally anything else that any other menu could
> have...well, it makes logical sense.  You Quantize a Score, just like you
> Print a Score, right?  And you Transpose a Score, just like you Open a
> Score, right?  Forget about that I/O stuff, the user doesn't get it
> anyway...

Exactly my point.  Are you agreeing, or being facetious?

> You said if you don't have a document, you won't have pages to set up.

I should have been a little more precise there.  I meant that if
a given application doesn't deal with "documents", then it won't
deal with printing "pages" per se.  It may still print, but the
objects that it sends to the printer should be conceptually
identified as the same objects the application sees.  I think we
should stay away from the "Page Setup" menu item (because it's
too document-oriented), and stick with the more generic "Print
Setup".  This would avoid the problem altogether.

> Page Setup exists *independantly* of outgoing files but is not called *without*
> an outgoing file.  In other words, if you have no documents, you can set the
> print margins to be used on the up and coming files even without any open.
> And since Page Setup modifies Print, which is actually a file level
> object(the file gets translated into printer language), Page Setup belongs
> with Print in File.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.  You keep explaining things
without getting around to the point (unless your point was that
Page Setup belongs in File, which was my point too, only I was
calling the "File" menu "Document" instead).

John