Re: Proposal for First Draft of GNOME Style Guide 1.1

>No, but mailing lists don't require syncronizing schedules.  The time for
>the IRC conference seems to have been picked out of a hat.  At no point
>was the question raised, "I am thinking of an IRC conference, when works
>for people?"  After it was clear that many people here could not make it,
>there was no discussion of changing the time.  Just, sorry that's the way
>it is, live with it.  I strongly doubt the GIMP developers were that
>cavalier with their IRC conferences.

Bowie screwed up by scheduling it on his sunday.  He COULDN'T change the
time though; WAYYYYYY too many places had already listed the time.  The next
one better be at a better time or I'll have to kick his ass.

He already listed the web page to go to; http://www.primenet.com/~bjp/

>The mailing list is an ideal place for this, a place which Bowie is not
>making use of.

What the hell is he doing talking in here?  :-)

>> Anyway, people shouldn't have to subscribe to gnome-gui to provide
feedback
>> to the project.  I mean, the VAST MAJORITY(I hope) of users of GNOME
>> *aren't* part of this group.  It's in the IRC conferences that we get to
>> show off our present state to our testing public and find out if we're
ALL
>> way off base.
>>
>> Geocentric?  Try listcentric :-)
>
>Listcentric is not a problem.  The people who want to contribute to GNOME
>will go to the GNOME site.  If they want to be involved in gnome
>devlopment, they go to the mailing list page, they see a line referring to
>GUI development.  Those who want to work on GUI devlopment (such as the
>Style Guide), will go there.  That's why I came here.  That's the point,
>this is the list of people who want to work on the GNOME style guide.

So you're basically saying, keep it closed until the work is done.  I
thought the idea was to keep it as open as possible without encouraging
chaos?  I don't think bi-weekly meetings that are open to the public to
subscribe without incurring dollar-pain because of the message load are
necessarily bad.

>Puting public forum on IRC makes it open to people who don't care all that
>much, but are bored at the time.  Advertising it as widely as it has been
>ensures that anyone who wants to make our lives dificult will be there.
>This mailing list will not allow non-subscribers to post.  This enforces
>accountability, which the Undernet does not.

Make our lives difficult?  Yeah, that damn slashdot community...

>I still say that this list is an appropriate place for discussing the
>details of the Style Guide.  I also still say that IRC is not an
>appropriate place.  If enough people really want it to be on IRC, much
>more attention needs to be paid to scheduling, pre-dawn monday morning is
>a decidedly bad time to hold a meeting.

IRC is a great place for live discussion, quick back and forths, etc.  GIMP
stands in DIRECT contradiction to what you're saying.

I agree, the scheduling of this bit ass, but it bit because it was on a
Sunday, not because it was at 3AM your time(what about the
Japanese/Austrailians/etc?)