Re: The Help Menu

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Bowie Poag wrote:

> Tom Vogt wrote,

> I wrote..
>
> > >Bad idea, Tom.
> > >
> > >Here's why: It opens the door to a nasty little thing called visual
> > >inconsistancy. If youre going to shorten "Program" to "Prog", are you
> > >going to shorten "Options" to "Opns" ? Both are seven characters long.. If
> > >you truncate one, you have to truncate the other to remain consistant with
> > >the first. Or, just leave well enough alone.
>
> Aaaand, Dan writes:
>

> > I agree.  An abbreviation here is pretty damn bad--prog?  What the heck is a
> > prog?  :-)  This stuff about visual consistency, fine, yeah, true, but, uhm,
> > what the heck is a prog?
> >
> > I haven't yet heard a *really* good reason to trash File.
> >

> Probably because none exists. :) I see no reason to scrap "File" as an
> appropriate menu item--why would you want to?

Nobody is talking about scrapping "File" as an appropriate menu item.  If
you recall the discussions on this list, many arguments was posed that
boil down to:
   *  File is inappropriate as a menu in many programs (specifically
      programs that don't use files)
   *  Many menu items that are traditionally located under File make no
      sense there when you think about it (eg. Print, Exit, Settings).
   *  Changing around the left-most menu's name, as is allowed in Style
      Guide v1.0 is a potential point of confusion

Therefore, "File" should not be a required menu.  The two replacements
that were most often discussed were "Main" or a picture.  I am very
opposed to using a picture as a menu title, but names other than "Main"
could easily make sense.

-Gleef