Re: RSG

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Tom Vogt wrote:

> Bowie Poag <bjp@primenet.com> wrote:
> > > this is NOT an official document, nor is it in any way related to the
> > > "official" Gnome styleguide that is being developed by Bowie Poag.
>
> > contribute opinions and ideas via the bi-weekly development conferences
> > held on IRC. Dan, Bill and I are -maintaining- the project, which is far
> > different than "developing" it.
>
> I put "maintained by Bowie Poag and others" in there. I want to keep that
> thing short, just avoid confusion.

You can do more than that to avoid confusion, Tom.

> > You cant dictate "look and feel".
>
> no, but you can define guidelines. as it's written there. :)

Wrong. Guidelines affect programmers, not users. They'll burn you out of
your home if you try and mandate look and feel guidelines for users.

> > Compliancy levels shouldalso  be in ascending order, not descending. C5
> > should be bare minimum, not C1, if you insist on abbreviating them that
> > way.
>
> what do others think about this?

Ever seen a medalist's podium at the olympics? I'd rather be standing on
"1" than "3" :)

> > How the heck are you gonna judge this concretely? This is way too big of a
> > gray-area. Try defining things more precisely here.
>
> look further down. parts of the styleguide have and/or will have a c4 rating
> beside them. for example, I put that new suggestion of a dialog "gnome
> enhanced, you don't have gnome, some stuff might not work" as a c4 feature.
>

> > Again, "Prog" is an indeterminant word. There is absolutely no reason to
> > truncate this from "Program". If you do so, you break visual consistancy.
> > Thats a no-no. If youre going to do that, theres almost no point in even
> > writing a style guide to begin with. If you dont set a good example, do
> > you think anyone is going to come along that will?
>
> I'd like to collect more opinions on "Prog". anyone else got something to
> say? otherwise we can vote and it would be an uninteresting 1:1 :)

Dont Bthr Clcg More Opns Aout Prog.  Its a bad idea.

Bowie