Menu Shortcuts

Windows uses menu shortcuts to provide quick keyboard access to menus.  For
example, instead of me moving my pinky to the touchpad(an incredible piece
of HCI research, let me tell you), I can press alt-f and the file menu comes
down.

Is this something GNOME should use?  Or should we have a keyboard combo that
highlights the first entry on the menu and then respond to left-arrow/right
arrow and first letters?  (i.e. <combo>, F, F would bring up the second menu
entry that began with F)